A weed sniffing dog has joined efforts to eliminate the potentially toxic Parthenium after more than 1000 of the plants were found on a Gerringong property.
The discovery late last year was the first sighting in the southeast of NSW, and was linked to a delivery of organic wholegrain chicken feed.
Ingesting the weed can cause dangerous allergic reactions in humans, and can be possibly toxic to animals.
A taskforce including the Illawarra District Weeds Authority (IDWA), Local Lands Services, NS Primary Industries and local councils will work on eradicating the weed, with the dog brought in to sniff out specimens that may have spread nearby.
IDWA Chief Weeds Officer David Pomery said the landowner recognised and reported the weed promptly.
"The landowner has proven extremely vigilant and followed all protocols in relation to dealing with this weed," he said.
"It is a delicate process that takes time but it is certainly a battle we can win."
The story: Four-legged expert called in after toxic weed find at Gerringong first appeared in the Illawarra Mercury
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.
While you're with us...
Did you know the South Coast Register is now offering breaking news alerts and a weekly email newsletter? Keep up-to-date with all the local news: sign up here.