The quick actions of staff and members of the public in extinguishing a fire in a kitchen at the Greenwell Point Bowling Club on Monday, March 8 has been praised.
Greenwell Point Rural Fire Service captain Sam Thompson said the fire, which started in a range hood in the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant, was extinguished before fire crews arrived at the scene.
"Staff and members of the public used chemical powder and CO2 fire extinguishers to put out the fire," Captain Thompson said.
"They did a great job. The fire was extinguished before we arrived."
Emergency services were called to the Greens Road club around 1.40pm after a Triple 0 call reporting the fire.
Club staff and patrons were evacuated.
RFS crews from Greenwell Point, Culburra, Callala, Callala Bay, West Nowra and Shoalhaven Heads were called to the scene, along with Fire and Rescue NSW Shoalhaven 440.
Fire crews carried out an inspection of the club, using thermal imaging equipment to ensure there were no other potential risks inside the building and undertook smoke ventilation activities.
The club has been given the all clear and has reopened for business, however the Chinese restaurant remains closed.
We depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.