Riding off the momentum of NAIDOC Week, Shoalhaven Mayor Amanda Findley wants to put the Uluru Statement from the Heart back on council's agenda.
A motion concerning the Uluru Statement was brought to council in June last year but was defeated by two votes.
"It would be great to try and push that along and really make sure that our councillors are on the job," Cr Findley said.
"What's really disappointing is that one year after a motion was brought to Shoalhaven City Council to adopt the Uluru statement we still don't have a policy position on that, we still haven't moved forward on doing any further consultation with the community."
It seems unlikely though, that if a similar motion was brought again that it would be successful.
With several councillors who opposed the motion last time, still against it.
Instead, the councillors said that they would support more community consultation or alternative motions.
"My position is that it's a decision that the community should make not 13 councillors - at the time we made attempts to get the mayor to consult but she wasn't willing to do that," said Assistant Deputy Mayor Cr Mitchell Pakes.
"I'd support going out and consulting the community, the Uluru statement is only words, but I like to see outcomes and what's going to be done for our Aboriginal communities."
Deputy Mayor Cr Patricia White said if Cr Findley introduced a motion similar to the one proposed at the Local Government Conference in Albury, which received a unanimous vote, then she would get support for it.
"There was another recommendation put up by Cr Proudfoot to go out for public consultation, it's my understanding that it's being worked up by the staff," she said.
"I would like to see that consultation complete before I make a decision."
Cr Joanna Gash, who also voted against the motion last year, said she was waiting to see what the Federal Government decides with the issue.
She believes last time the motion was put forward people weren't fully aware of what the motion entailed.
"I've been very involved with the local Indigenous community over the years, I discussed it with them and they weren't all convinced at that stage," she said.
"I think we should have a local referendum or local poll to decide the issue."