Basin Beats: U15 girls set sights on finals football

In fine form: St Georges Basin FC Under 15 girls and coach Rob Thompson have their sights set on the finals after a rocky start to the season.
In fine form: St Georges Basin FC Under 15 girls and coach Rob Thompson have their sights set on the finals after a rocky start to the season.

Basin Under 15 girls entertained spectators on Saturday with a 2-0 win over United, cementing third position on the ladder. Their celebratory backflips after the game are a fitting reflection of their enthusiasm. Having struggled at the beginning of the season with player numbers, the girls, under the guidance of coach Rob Thompson, continue to build momentum and have their sights firmly fixed on the finals.

The Under 13 girls continue to impress with their commitment and determination, taking on top-of-the-ladder Illaroo. Basin eventually went down 2-0, a vast improvement on their 0-8 loss in the first round.

Under 13 Boys B side were nervous going into their game against United, currently third on the ladder, with two of their star forwards out. Their nerves proved unfounded, however, as they walked away with a 5-2 win.

Basin Under 13 Boys A fought tirelessly in a hotly contested match against Milton but went down 1-3.  Basin maintains their place in second position on the ladder.

The Under 15 boys never gave up when faced with an older, faster and more polished Illaroo side. A particular mention to Caleb March who seemed determined to see at least one in the back of the net for his team, however their back line was simply impenetrable. Thomas Dixon showed his unique style playing in centre back to keep their goal count to only seven.

First Grade Men had a bye this week which left Reserves and Thirds to take on Callala. Despite the 2-0 lead that Callala had at half-time in Reserves, the mood was very positive. Unfortunately, a run of injuries changed the game. Both Jack Eastwood and John Barling suffered ankle injuries from dubious challenges. Jack Neeves was then hit in a challenge from behind and had to be replaced as well. These disruptions allowed Callala to score another 3 goals. The game ended on a sad note with promising youngster Lachy Dixon, who was having his best game of the season, dislocating his kneecap with 5 minutes to go. Overall, the 5-0 score did not reflect the effort put in by the squad.

Third grade men went into their clash needing to win or draw to stay in touch with the top four. The 0-0 scoreline achieved this, however the boys will be looking to lift going into next week’s game.

Basin First and Third Grade Ladies took on Huskisson this week (with Huskisson Reserve grade forfeiting). Third grade ladies match was fairly even, however there was no stopping the power and accuracy of Husky’s number 10 who sent an unstoppable goal past Rachel Murray, who had done well to keep out a number of other intense attacks on goal. Final score 1-0 Husky. Renee Brown secured Woman of the Match for Basin for her versatility to play in any position.

First Grade’s 2-2 draw was not reflective of the overall game with Basin having multiple attempts on goal. Jess Little and Ami O’Neill did, however, finally find their marks.