Teams book their grand final ticket

Women’s League Tag

Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs and Kiama Knights will get to resurrect their WLT rivalry once again on Sunday when the two sides face off in yet another premiership decider at Collegians Sports Complex.

After dominating the competition for several years, despite Jamberoo’s premiership last year, the two sides have built up a keen rivalry, and after spiting their games this year, Sunday’s clash is certainly a real ‘clash of the titans’.

The Knights booked their spot after running riot over Stingrays of Shellharbour 32-4, however the Stingrays really made the Knights work hard during the first half and held them to a narrow 10-4 half-time lead.

However after the break, the Knights were at their attacking best, with speedsters Tyler Finn and Alana Glasson bagging five of the six tries between them, while Glasson also landed four goals for a personal tally of 16 points.

Kristin Pan, Glasson, Finn and Zoe Dignam had great games to lead the way for the Knights, while Allira Simon, who scored her side’s sole try, Bronte Girdler and Natalie Henderson were Stingrays best.

Third Grade

Kooris' Dylan Riggs. Photo: DAVID HALL

Kooris' Dylan Riggs. Photo: DAVID HALL

Mount Warrigal Kooris are on the verge of a great comeback season after ending reigning premiers Culburra Dolphins season and guaranteeing new premiers in all grades next weekend with a 13-12 win on Sunday.

Kooris fullback Dylan Riggs started the game on fire and raced over for the game’s opening try and converted in just the second minute, before Culburra lock Ian Webb replied in kind in the 13th minute, with James Stewart converting.

However with frequent mistakes marring the rest of the half, the teams went to the break locked on 6-all.

The second half started with a flurry as the Dolphins grabbed a 10-6 lead via Kevin Hammond’s try just two minutes into the second half off a great offload by John Carey.

But Riggs was again on hand just five minutes later when he showed his speed to skirt the defence for his second try and grabbed back the lead 12-10.

A late penalty goal to Culburra’s Trevor Bell levelled the scores with 10 minutes to go and shortly after they wasted an ideal opportunity to set up for a field-goal when in a great position.

However Mount Warrigal five-eighth Ronald Gatt calmly grabbed his opportunity shortly afterwards, which allowed his side to seal the win and advance to a showdown with Sussex Inlet Panthers next Sunday.

Riggs was undoubtedly the star of the game with 12 for his side’s 13 points, while Matt Fuller, Ronald Gatt, Garry Henry and Matt Tungai were best for the Kooris, while John Carey, Hammond, Arthus Stewart and Ian Webb were best for the Dolphins.

Under 18s

Warilla-Lake South Gorillas scored their third win in four weeks over Albion Park-Oak Flats to wrap up a grand final showdown with Milton-Ulladulla Bulldogs with a 24-14 win own their home ground.

In a terrific game of football, the Eagles jumped out of the blocks with an early tries to Matt Torres and Jake Brisbane, but the Gorillas stayed calm and by half-time had seemingly taken control through two tries to fullback Blair Grant and one to hooker Dean Hodgson - with Grant adding two conversions for a 16-10 advantage.

The second half started at a cracking pace, with Warilla winger Ben Watts extending adding to his side’s tally.

But the Eagles still had plenty of fight left as winger Jayden Fenwick flew over in the corner to keep their hopes alive, but in the end it proved too little too late for the Albion Park-Oak Flats team.

In a great display of football, Grant, Kyle Stone, Kye Dean and Ruben Vermaak were best for the Gorillas, while Brisbane, Dallas Harrison, Will Booth and Matt Torres were best for the Eagles.

Reserve Grade

Lions' Callum Cooper. Photo: DAVID HALL

Lions' Callum Cooper. Photo: DAVID HALL

There was high drama in the reserve grade clash, with Gerringong Lions booking another showdown with Kiama Knights, after their extra-time thriller in the qualifying semi-final, in Sunday’s grand final with a heart-stopping 18-12 win over Albion Park-Oak Flats Eagles.

The Eagles started well and it only took them five minutes to grab the first try when Jarrod Booth steamed over and Liam Jolliffe converted for a 6-nil lead.

However the Lions responded in kind just six minutes later when centre Callum Wishart shrugged off several defenders to close the gap to two and the scores remained at 6-4 at the half-time break.

Booth broke the score draught just three minutes after the break with his second and Corey Bryant-Smith’s conversion pushed the Eagles advantage out to 12-4.

However just as the Eagles started looking more comfortable, the determined Lions hit back again through Wishart and Manning Berry’s conversion closed the gap to two once again, before he added a penalty goal that locked the scores up 13 minutes remaining.

This set the stage for a grandstand finish and it ended in high drama when Wishart found some space near the line and looked certain to score before Eagles fullback George Campbell tackled him high and referee William Drury had no hesitation in awarding a penalty try, which was converted by Berry as the Lions triumphed 18-12.

Wishart, Alex Brookes, Callum Cooper, Elliott Stewart and Todd Digger has great games for the Lions, while Chad Pemberton, Jarrod Booth and Aaron Noakes had big games for the Eagles.


Discuss "Teams book their grand final ticket"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.