Blaze probably started in kitchen

A FIRE in a North Nowra home on Thursday in which a 19-month-old girl was rescued by passers-by is believed to have started in the kitchen.

Police said initial investigations have indicated the fire in the Hansons Road home might have started in the kitchen and further investigations were being carried out.

But those investigations were being hampered by fears of residual traces of asbestos in the home after the fire.

Once the blaze was extinguished last Thursday, authorities established an exclusion zone due to fears of asbestos contamination from the property.

Police have confirmed the young girl was left unattended at the home when the fire broke out.

They said the child’s mother was at the nearby North Nowra shops about 50m away when the fire broke out but offered no other details.

The child was taken to Shoalhaven Hospital as a precaution and was reported by police to be fine.

Police said they had reported to the matter to the Department of Family and Community Services.

Meanwhile, the three men involved in the rescue of the toddler, Rob Love, Adam Schutz and Ben Smith, are being considered for nomination for the Fire and Rescue NSW Commissioner’s Award for bravery.


Discuss "Blaze probably started in kitchen"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.