MORE than 2000 COVID-19 tests were carried out across the Illawarra Shoalhaven on Thursday, including 1350 in the Shoalhaven.
This follows more than 1000 local people being tested on Wednesday.
The Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD) has thanked the community for coming forward in large numbers for testing.
"High rates of testing help us to detect any cases in the community as early as possible so I again encourage people to remain vigilant for COVID-19 symptoms and to get tested for even the mildest of symptoms," said ISLHD Chief Executive Margot Mains.
"I want to sincerely thank the Shoalhaven community for quickly getting behind our call to get tested.
"Our teams established three pop-up drive through testing sites at Huskisson, Vincentia and Nowra on Wednesday with terrific support from local private providers."
The Shoalhaven was thrust into COVID alert late Tuesday and early Wednesday as news spread about a Melbourne man and now his family, that visited a number of locations in the Jervis Bay area from May 19-24, having since tested positive to the virus.
Ms Mains said services have also been extended at existing clinics throughout the Shoalhaven so the community can be tested as quickly and easily as possible.
We ask people not to dismiss any possibly symptoms as just a cold, we want them to get tested to confirm it's not coronavirus.ISLHD Chief Executive Margot Mains
The drive through clinics will be open from 8am to 6pm, every day of the week for the next fortnight at least.
"We ask people not to dismiss any possible symptoms as just a cold, we want them to get tested to confirm it's not coronavirus," Ms Mains said.
Symptoms can include fever, cough, breathing difficulties, sore throat, loss of smell or taste, runny nose, diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and fatigue.
Anyone who has visited the locations listed in NSW Health advice is urged to get tested immediately and follow the instructions related to the location.
Here are the testing sites across the Shoalhaven (existing testing sites will have extended hours):
- Shoalhaven Hospital, Hospital in the Home (HITH) area, 2 Scenic Drive, Entry via Shoalhaven Street driveway, 8.30am-12.30pm and 1.15pm-4.30pm 7 days. Note: no referral required.
- Nowra Showground pop up clinic (drive-through clinic), West Street, 8am-6pm 7 days per week while required.
- Nowra Southern IML Pathology (drive-through clinic), 57 Junction Street, 9am-5pm Monday-Friday. Note: no referral required.
- Sanctuary Point Respiratory Clinic, adjacent to Sanctuary Point Medical Centre, 1.30pm-5pm Monday-Friday. Note: no referral required.
- Bay and Basin Leisure Centre pop-up clinic, 8am-6pm 7 days per week while required.
- Milton Ulladulla Hospital, Enter via main hospital entrance and proceed to reception, 8am-3.30pm 7 days. Note: Booking required via (02) 4454 9100, No referral required.
- Ulladulla Respiratory Clinic, 114 Princes Highway, Clinic is located in the carpark directly behind Ulladulla Specialist Centre. Access via South Street car park entrance and also via Burrill Street South, 8.30am-12.30pm. Note: no referral required.
- Huskisson pop-up drive through clinic, back of the Husky Sports Club, enter via the oval off Park Street, operating hours 8am-6pm 7 days per week.
- Gerringong Medical and Cosmetic Centre (drive-through clinic), 139 Belinda Street, 9am-3.30pm Monday-Friday.
For the latest information visit https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/latest-news-and-updates
To find local testing clinic locations and opening hours visit the District's website at www.ISLHD.health.nsw.gov.au.
Our COVID-19 news articles relating to public health and safety are free for anyone to access. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here . If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.