THE Nowra RSL Sub Branch has come up with another way to sell its popular Anzac Day memorabilia.
Normally volunteers would be out in the community selling badges and Anzac Day memorabilia in places like shopping centres.
However, they can't go out selling this year due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The tradition of RSL badge selling in Nowra in 2020 will remain but will be conducted via online orders only.
A wonderful selection of badges is available for purchase for $5 each and pens, while pencils are just $1.
To order, email the Nowra RSL Sub Branch at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0413 787858.
Payment made electronically, then your order will be mailed to you.
Meanwhile, due to the current pandemic, the Nowra RSL Sub Branch's office will be closed for the time being and all activities cancelled.
Nowra RSL Sub Branch president Rob Grant said the decision to close the office was made to protect their membership.
He added they don't want to place their elderly and vulnerable members at risk by making them leave their homes.
The Nowra RSL Branch will still be actively looking after the welfare of local veterans.
A President's Letter is being sent to all sub-branch members explaining the current arrangements to keep their operations going, with a copy also lodged in the Member's Area of the group's website (www.nowrarslsb.org.au).
All lines of communication are still being monitored, including phone, email, and the contact page on the website.
Mr Grant added if one of their members was taken to hospital the sub-branch would be contacted and would assist in any way possible.
Members and the community will be advised when the office will reopen in due course.
Meanwhile, Mr Grant reminded people that Anzac Day can still be celebrated despite local parades being cancelled.
"The cancellation doesn't stop people going to their nearest memorial and paying their own private respects," he said.
"The memorials are still there, and it might be a nice opportunity to give some of the smaller, local memorials some attention."
Where the money from the Anzac Day memorabilia sales go
The money raised by the Sub Branch supports the following key activities:
* Support two Advocates who assist veterans and serving Members with claims for entitlements from the Dept of Veteran Affairs (DVA)
* Sponsor a participant for the Kokoda Youth Challenge annually where a local youth is flown to PNG so as to walk the Kokoda Track
* Support the Sub Branch Day Club who have cared for the elderly for nearly 30 years with weekly events
* Financial support for local Cadet Units (currently Navy and Air Force with an Army unit starting up this year)
* Conduct trips for members
* Cover costs associated with organising commemorative events in the local area and
* Contributions to RSL NSW in Sydney to support wider programs such as DefenceCare which assists Veterans in need.