Shoalhaven City Council will waive $10,000 dollars in tip fees to help a young family who lost everything in a house fire in Shoalhaven Heads earlier this month.
During a Mayor Minute at council's ordinary meeting on Tuesday, November 26 councillors unanimously voted to assist the family with their cleanup costs.
On November 18, the family lost their Ravenscliffe Road home, opposite Shoalhaven Heads Public School.
A mother was woken by her smoke alarm around 10.40am and as flames were climbing up the wall she managed to grab her baby and run outside.
Despite the quick efforts of Rural Fire Service crews and neighbours, the house was unable to be saved.
Shoalhaven Mayor Amanda Findley said it was unknown if the family had a current insurance policy and considering their stress and trauma, council could assist them in the cost to remove the burnt remains of their home.
There was some debate over how the fee waiver should be funded. Cr Mitchell Pakes was concerned over using the Mayor's Relief Fund in case an emergency broke out and the money was needed elsewhere.
Instead, council decided to finance the waiver through the waste services budget.
During a second Mayoral Minute at the ordinary meeting, thanks was given to all of the emergency services during the day of catastrophic fire danger on November 12.
A GoFundMe page set up for family the has raised $2350. If you'd like to donate you can head here.