A NINE-year-old boy has admitted to starting a fire in Worrigee with a blowtorch.
On a day where the Shoalhaven area was declared catastrophic conditions, emergency services were called to a small fire in long grass off Stanbury Place, Worrigee around 11.35am on Tuesday, November 12.
The fire, which was quickly extinguished by NSW Fire and Rescue Nowra and an Ulladulla Rural Fire Service crews, burnt out an area of grass and bush about 10 metres by 20 metres in an area adjacent Sullivan Street.
Following suspicions over the possible cause of the fire, a number of South Coast District Police officers arrived at the area to carry out investigations.
Officers spoke to a number of residents, as well as a nine-year-old boy, who was with a group of other children, and subsequently made admissions to the lighting the fire with a blowtorch.
Due to the child's age, he was issued a warning under the Young Offenders Act.
A total state-wide fire ban remains in place, and has now been extended into tomorrow (November 13).
A total fire ban means no fires out in the open, which helps limit the potential of fires developing.
During a total fire ban you cannot light, maintain or use a fire in the open, or carry out any activity in the open that causes, or is likely to cause a fire.
General purpose hot works (such as welding, grinding or gas cutting or any activity that produces a spark or flame) are not to be done in the open.