The name "Arwon" became known nationally when the horse, Arwon, won the Melbourne Cup in 1978.
But do you know who first used the name?
The question was first posed in the Women's World Section of the Shoalhaven and Nowra News in the 1970s by columnist Betty.
Betty asked who was the first person or group to reverse the spelling of Nowra to obtain "Arwon."
As it turned out, Awron was a brand of Nowra butter manufactured during the early 1920s and also the name of a house in Nowra.
The first manager of the Nowra Dairy Company, Leslie Crawford is believed to have thought of the name Arwon to use for the brand of butter.
During the 1920s the brand Arwon was claimed to mark the best butter on the market.
Mr Crawford came to the Shoalhaven from Pyrmont with his family at the age of six.
They lived in Cambewarra and he later became the manager of the Nowra Dairy Company in 1905. The company was registered in 1901.
The company was situated on the southern side of the Shoalhaven River, next to the existing bridge.
In the early days butter was manufactured at the Barrengarry Butter Factory for the Nowra Co-op.
Mr Crawford thought up the name Arwon for the butter, which was marketed in Sydney.
Mr Crawford built a house in Ferry Lane, Nowra and decided to also call it Awron.
He died in 1932 at the age of 65, while still the manager of the Nowra Dairy Company.
He had four sons and two daughters.
He was survived by sons Leslie who lived in Sydney and George, who was living in the original Crawford home at Cambewarra, and daughters Alice (Mrs Vaughan, Sydney) and Anne (Mrs Griffiths, Bomaderry) who used to work in the office of the Nowra Dairy Company.
- Information provided by Shoalhaven Historical Society.