First half onslaught sees Superoos smash Stingrays

Jamberoo debutant James Moore. Photo: DAVID HALL

Jamberoo debutant James Moore. Photo: DAVID HALL

THE fifth placed Jamberoo Superoos have notched up their ninth victory of the season, as they peppered the Stingrays of Shellharbour by 58-4 at Flinders Field on Sunday.

The victory couldn’t have come at a better time for the Superoos as they look to build momentum heading into the finals, before they play the Gerringong Lions in the final round of the regular season next weekend at Kevin Walsh Oval.

The Stingrays forced a few errors in enemy territory and raced to an early 4-nil lead as Shaun Baulch crashed over from close range as he pounced on a nice cross field kick from Liam Thompson.

The hosts lost possession off the kick-off as Jamberoo took full control of the match with the palm of their hand through Jake Clarke, who scored off the back of a simple attacking raid on the western side of the park.

Dean Watling landed his conversion as Jamberoo led 6-4.

The visitors generated many quick dummy half runs and played an expansive style of rugby league. 

Captain/coach Jono Dallas assisted Corey Grigg with a nice grubber kick towards the in goal area and sent Jake Clarke in for his second with a brilliant cut out ball.

Dean Watling showed off his blistering speed and athleticism as he cemented an amazing first half hat-trick, with two of his tries coming from inside his own half, while Ben Barnard also joined the try scorers list off the back of a brilliant passing game from his fellow teammates.

Dean Watling slotted six more goals from seven attempts including three from the sideline and at half-time the visitors led 40-4.

The second half descended into a scrappy affair as both teams produced a high error count; the Stingrays had more opportunities to post points in the second period but were unable to crack the Superoos defence.

Despite not being at their attacking best in the second period, Jamberoo kept their defence together and managed to cross the white chalk on four separate occasions.

Jono Dallas claimed a try of his own and helped Jake Clarke clinch his terrific hat-trick with a perfect cut out ball, while Joseph Rokoqo and debutant James Moore were both too hard to stop from close proximity for their respective efforts.

Dean Watling slotted one goal for the second half as the Superoos ran out winners by 58-4.

Dean Watling, Jake Clarke, Jono Dallas, Jayde Tooth and Brendan Smith were the standouts for the Superoos while Shaun Baulch, Aaron Merrick and Freddy Andale did all they could for the Stingrays.


Discuss "First half onslaught sees Superoos smash Stingrays"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.