Glen Alpine man fined $2300 and disqualified for six months for speeding

A South West Sydney man caught traveling more than 50 km/h over the speed limit on the Princes Highway has been fined $2300 and disqualified from driving for six months.

Antonio Sammut, 79, of Glen Alpine, pleaded guilty to exceeding the speed limit by 45km/h in Nowra Local Court.

The court heard Sammut was caught by police travelling at 134km/h in an 80 zone in the Princes Highway at Meroo Meadow on January 13 this year.

Court papers said the manager of two Barbecue Galore franchises in the Campbelltown area had owned a home at Culburra Beach for 30 years and had regularly travelled to the area.

In a letter to the court, Sammut said he had been noticed a rash on his skin on his trip south which was later diagnosed as shingles.

He believed the condition had affected his behaviour on the day.

Magistrate Gabriel Fleming fined him $2384 and disqualified him from driving for six months.

Comments

Discuss "79-year-old disqualified for six months for travelling 50km/h over speed limit​"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.