On The Beat | Friday, September 15

NSW Police Shoalhaven crime prevention officer Senior Constable Anthony Jory.
NSW Police Shoalhaven crime prevention officer Senior Constable Anthony Jory.

Don’t you just hate it, one minute you are backing out of your car space at the local shopping centre and the next minute you hear a bang, the car shudders and people start looking your way.

It is then you realise that you have been in a minor fender bender.

Some people in this situation panic.

They have a quick look around and drive from the scene thinking that they have made a clean getaway, the perfect crime!  

Or so it seems.

Now days with the advent of in car video, mobile phones, CCTV , registration numbers and the good old witness at the scene has reduced the odds of the perfect getaway.

As an added bonus, if you drive away from a minor collision you will certainly attract the attention of police and subsequently receive Infringement notices or court papers.

The right way:

If you are involved in a minor collision police do not have to attend as long as you observe the following criteria.

·        No person is anyone trapped, killed or injured.

·        No drivers appear affected by alcohol or drugs.

·        No person has failed to stop or exchange details.

·        There are no hazards present (eg. leaking fluids, damage to power poles / structures, etc).

·        There is no obstruction to the safe and free flow of traffic.

·        No person Is significantly distressed needing police assistance.

·        No person  involved in the crash on reasonable grounds has requested police to attend; or

·        There are no other issues requiring police attendance (eg. aggressive / criminal behaviour.

What to do next:

1.  Move vehicles off or to side of roadway (if safe to do so).

2.  Exchange details with the other parties.

3.  Promptly leave the crash site.

4.  If anyone is later treated for an injury, call the Police Assistance Line on 131444 as soon as possible.

Just remember, if you have a prang and drive away from the scene without exchanging details you will be committing an offence and you will be dealt with accordingly.

There is no excuse.

Remember you can Dob in a Druggie any time you like by contacting Nowra Police or ringing Crime Stoppers.

And also do not drink and drive.

As always, in case of an emergency call 000. In non-emergencies call the Policelink on 131 444 or your local police station. To provide anonymous information call Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000. For domestic and family violence information, visit www.police.nsw.gov.au. For Shoalhaven Domestic Violence officers call 4421 9666 or 44219665  or email shoaldvlo@police.nsw.gov.au.

Don’t forget, cops are tops.


Discuss "On The Beat with Anthony Jory - Friday, September 15​"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.