Two charged after Terara Road high speed crash

POLICE say five young people, including a 13-year-old girl, involved in a high speed crash at Numbaa in the early hours of Wednesday were lucky not to be killed.

Nowra duty officer, Inspector Paul Cockram said it was estimated the car travelled between 150km/h and 180km/h on Terara and Comerong Island roads before crashing at a sharp right hand bend at Numbaa.

“It was disappointing the speed the vehicle was driven at,” Inspector Cockram said.

“The driver’s behaviour put himself, his four passengers and other road users at risk.

“This could have had fatal consequences.”

Police first noticed the Holden Commodore as it turned into Moss Street from the Princes Highway about 12.30am on June 14.

The officers’ mobile data terminal registered the car was a stolen, allegedly taken from Batemans Bay the previous day.

Officers allegedly found the vehicle stopped on the northern side of Moss Street, opposite Nowra High School.

As police pulled alongside the car they noticed five occupants, including the male drive in a blue hooded jumper and a front seat male passenger in a red jumper.

Police said the vehicle accelerated harshly and as police tried to follow, a full can of soft drink was thrown from the front passenger's side of the vehicle, bouncing along the road before hitting the police car.

Police said the Commodore sped away east along Terara Road, reaching estimated speeds of up to 180km/h in 50km/h and 80km/ zones.

At the intersection of Comerong Island Road, the vehicle lost control on the tight 25km/h bend, went straight through the intersection and collided with a dirt embankment at an estimated speed of 100km/h.

The car smashed through a barbed wire fence and skidded a further 60m into the paddock.

As police arrived the male driver, a 20-year-old Warrawong man was seen running from the crash.

The front seat passenger, a 19-year-old Batemans Bay man, and a 13-year-old girl, who was a backseat passenger, staggered from the vehicle.

The girl collapsed, suffering stomach and head injuries, while the male was arrested by police.

Two backseat male passengers, one aged 18 and the other a juvenile, suffered a suspected broken jaw and leg injuries.

They and the young girl were taken to Shoalhaven Hospital for treatment.

The male driver was found by police a short distance away and arrested.

Court papers said Terara and Comerong Island roads were being used as a detour for all traffic from Culburra and Callala at the time, and it was lucky traffic was light.

Anthony Robert Carroll, 20, of Warrawong and Treidon Bradbury, 19, of Batemans Bay both appeared in Nowra Local Court on Wednesday facing a variety of charges.

Carroll is charged with taking a vehicle without the consent of the owner, never being licenced, and reckless driving.

Bradbury was charged with being carried in a car without the consent of the owner and intentionally throwing an object at a vehicle.

Both were granted bail by Magistrate Gabriel Fleming and are due to reappear in Nowra Court on July 3.


Discuss "Car occupants lucky not to be killed in high speed crash: police​"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.