Shoals win see-sawing match against Kiama

ON THE ATTACK: Shoalhaven Rugby Club's Angus Maddinson. Shoals Firsts defeated Kiama 27-17 last weekend. Photo: DAMIAN McGILL

ON THE ATTACK: Shoalhaven Rugby Club's Angus Maddinson. Shoals Firsts defeated Kiama 27-17 last weekend. Photo: DAMIAN McGILL

Shoals First Grade took on Kiama last weekend and from the kick-off play was hard and fast.

After a series of forward raids from both teams, a clearing kick by Shoalhaven started an attacking raid with Steve Maloney scoring wide out. The conversion was unsuccessful but Shoals had an early lead 5-0.

The lead was not for long as Kiama soon took the lead 7-5 from a converted try.

Shortly after Shoals’ Jack Watts made a break to score a try which he converted to make the score Shoalhaven 12 Kiama 7.

Play continued with neither side getting the upper hand until Kiama was awarded a penalty try for repeated scrum infringements. At half-time the score was Kiama 14 Shoalhaven 12.

The struggle continued in the second half until Shoalhaven received another penalty about 35 metres in front and Jack Watts kicked the goal. Shoalhaven 15 Kiama 14.

Kiama were then awarded a penalty in centre field about 40 metres from the line and their kick was successful giving them a 17-15 lead.

Shoalhaven were immediately back on the attack and breakaway Justin Mackaness scored and Jack Watts converted. Shoalhaven 22 Kiama 17.

The game was not yet over however, and Kiama won a scrum near their goal line and moved the ball wide, before Ben Wiringi intercepted their clearing pass and raced over the line for another try. Final score: Shoalhaven 27 Kiama 17.

The Second Grade game started at full pace and it looked like it would be a tough struggle before Kiama were awarded a penalty on the five metre line and scored. The conversion from in front was good and Kiama had a 7-0 lead.

The play continued at a tough pace, and Shoalhaven was penalised for challenging the referee and Greg Luxford was shown the yellow card to spend 10 minutes in the "naughty chair". Half time score: Kiama 7 Shoalhaven 0.

Shoalhaven scored first in the second half with a try to Adam Barret. Corey Lee's conversion was good and the score was 7-all. After several more phases Shoalhaven scored again and took the lead 14-7.

Kiama was not out of it yet, and after several attacking plays they scored out wide and the conversion was good. Shoalhaven 14 Kiama 14.

Both teams were now playing at full pace with attack after attack until Shoalhaven scored under the posts after a scorching run by Ben Wiringi.

The try was converted making the final score Shoalhaven 21 Kiama 14.

In the Third Grade match against Vincentia, Shoalhaven received a couple of penalties in the first five minutes and Vincentia had a man sin-binned.

During this period Joe Calcraft scored a try which Leith Cooper converted. Score: Shoalhaven 7-0.

A penalty took the score to 10-nil before Vincentia fought back, scoring two unconverted tries to make the final score 10-10.