Roos make light work of Rays

Superoos' James Gilmore. Photo: DAVID HALL
Superoos' James Gilmore. Photo: DAVID HALL

JAMBEROO Superoos have had a handy warm-up for next Saturday’s top-of-the-table clash with premiers Gerringong Lions and maintained their unbeaten start to the season, with a comfortable 48-nil win over an injury-riddled Stingrays of Shellharbour at Kevin Walsh Oval on Saturday.

After scoring eight tries in each of their previous home wins over Milton-Ulladulla and Berry-Shoalhaven Heads, the Superoos went one better this week with nine tries in a great boost to the points differential ahead of next weekend crunch clash at Gerringong.

Despite making two clean breaks in the opening minutes that should have led to Superoos tries, the Stingrays held, and it wasn’t until the 15th minute that the home side got on the board when fullback Mark Asquith crashed over.

That was followed by second-rower Ben Wade in the 20th and with both tries converted by centre Dean Watling as Jamberoo went to a 12-nil lead.

Two minutes later, winger Andrew Clarke had his first of five for the day and made it a double in the 30th minute as Jamberoo turned on the class, with five-eighth Josh Kent scoring their final try of the half five minutes before the break as they went to ‘lemons’ ahead 28-nil.

While outclassed, the Stingrays showed heaps of heart, but with almost half their top 13 missing, it was always being a tough task - while the step-up in class from reserves last year to firsts this year is clearly taking it’s toll,

The home side got a dream start to the second half when Clarke grabbed his hat-trick, but from that point the game became scrappy, however a fantastic long-range effort by youngster Dean Watling and a fourth and fifth by Clarke rounded out scoring.

In a classy effort from Jamberoo, Clarke, Aaron Grigg, James Asquith, Mark Asquith and James Gilmore were Jamberoo’s best, while Dean Gray, Chris Demczpyszyn and Anthony Nabbe tried hard all day for the Stingrays.