Bail for woman convicted of stealing $100,000

A 44-YEAR-OLD Worrigee woman sentenced to 16 months jail for stealing $100,000 from a Bomaderry business has appealed against the severity of her sentence.

Maryanne Spresser, of Isa Road, Worrigee, had pleaded guilty to seven counts of dishonestly obtaining financial advantage or causing disadvantage by deception, and one count of destroying or concealing an accounting record to obtain financial advantage or cause disadvantage.

Police allege she stole almost $100,000 over a 12 month period from Bomaderry business Kitchens and Bathrooms Rock, owned by Culburra Beach couple Craig and Cheryl Stanton.

Ms Spresser appeared in Nowra Local Court on Monday before Magistrate Alison Viney and was sentenced to 16 months jail with a nine month non parole period.

Through her solicitor Kel Clowry, Ms Spresser appealed the severity of the sentence.

She was granted conditional bail and the matter will be heard in Nowra District Court on August 25.

The court heard Ms Spresser used her children’s bank accounts to electronically transfer thousands of dollars, failed to pay accounts, instead siphoning the money, even depositing it into an account she especially established.

Following an extensive investigation and paper trail, police discovered on 78 separate occasions she transferred money to her son’s account, valuing close to $71,000.

She also extended the limit of the company’s Caltex fuel cards and allowed extra items to be purchased other than fuel and then bought gift cards, which she later redeemed.

While paying bills, police said Ms Spresser would change the account and BSB numbers to her own accounts and those of two of her children.

She even set up a business account at Office Works in Nowra, racking up a bill close to $4000, the court was told.

The Stantons were left “dumbfounded” by the outcome.

“We left court believing the matter had been dealt with,” Mrs Stanton said.

“Two hours later we were notified there had been an appeal lodged against the sentence and she was out on bail.

“We were back in the company factory, having a small celebration when we got the news.

“Now we have to wait another seven weeks for an outcome.

“We were happy for two hours but now we are back where we were.

“It left us dumbfounded.”


Discuss "Bail for woman convicted of stealing $100,000"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.