They may be a little slower these days but that didn’t stop some of the Nowra High School class of 1945 getting together for a reunion dinner recently.
Thirteen ‘Old Schoolies’ from the Nowra Intermediate High School, (now the Nowra Primary School in Plunket St), attended a reunion dinner at the Gerroa Boat Fishermen’s Club on Monday, March 12.
Most of those attending were from the 1945 class of 2 ABC and are now aged in their 80s.
They had their first reunion eight years ago at the Bomaderry Bowling Club, with 34 ex-students enjoying the day.
The group enjoyed eight more reunions at the club, but sadly the numbers have decreased due to illness and death.
There are now less than 20 survivors. All are in their mid to late eighties but still eager to keep in touch and renew life long friendships.
For the last two years they have arranged for a luncheon meeting every three months at one of the many clubs and restaurants in the Shoalhaven.
The next luncheon will be at the Bomaderry Bowling Club on Monday, June 11.
Any old members or friends who would like to attend will be welcome. For more information contact Jim Collett on 0401 179 081.
What was happening in 1945?
- Prime Minister was John Curtin (died in office 5 July)
- May 9 – Germany surrenders to the Allies, ending World War II in Europe.
- July 5 – Prime Minister John Curtin dies in office from heart problems at The Lodge in Canberra.
- July 6 – Frank Forde is sworn in as Prime Minister of Australia, following the death of John Curtin. He will serve Australia's shortest term as Prime Minister, being replaced by Ben Chifley a week later.
- August 15 – Japan surrenders to the Allies, ending World War II. The day is known as V-P Day (Victory in the Pacific).
- September 29 – The 1945 VFL Grand Final is held, and becomes known as the "Bloodbath" due to the wet, muddy conditions and frequent violence between players and amongst the spectators. Carlton defeats South Melbourne 15.13 (103) to 10.15 (75).
- November 6 – Rainbird wins the Melbourne Cup.
- December 12 – Howard Florey shares the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his work on penicillin.
- February 26 – Peter Brock, racing driver was born (died 2006)
- August 27 – Kerry O'Brien, television journalist was born.
- April 13 – Judy Nunn, actress, author was born.