A convicted Wollongong felon accused of participating in the brutal bashing of a man outside a house in Sanctuary Point last September has been refused court bail.
Police allege Dean Lennon Byrne and another man beat the 36-year-old victim so badly in the early hours of September 18 that he lay unconscious in the gutter for several hours before being discovered by neighbours.
Court documents said police who attended the scene initially believed the victim had been injured falling off his pushbike, which was located nearby.
He was taken to hospital with multiple serious injuries including eight facial fractures, torn rib cartilage and a broken left hip which required reconstructive surgery.
The man also lost four teeth in the ordeal.
He gave a statement to police on December 29, saying he had gone to the house to speak with the female occupant, however was attacked by Byrne and the co-accused when he arrived.
He said the pair kicked him and stomped on his head multiple times until he blacked out.
He told officers he did not report the incident earlier due to fear of reprisal, the court heard.
A female occupant later told police she saw Byrne and his co-accused outside the house immediately before the alleged assault and described hearing “blood-curdling” screams from the victim.
She claimed Byrne boasted about “stomping” on the victim’s head when he returned inside the house.
Byrne was arrested at his Osborne Street home last week and charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
During an interview with police, Byrne allegedly said he remembered waking up one morning in September and seeing an ambulance out the front if his house but denied any involvement in the alleged assault.
In refusing bail, Magistrate Michael Stoddart noted Byrne was on parole at the time for armed robbery.
On the face of it, it’s a strong circumstantial case
“On the face of it, it’s a strong circumstantial case,” he said, adding that if convicted, Byrne would spend a lengthy period behind bars.
“it appears a number of people have made statements.”
The case was transferred to Nowra Local Court for further mention in August.