Basin anti-development campaign gains momentum

Related coverage:

Four-storey development ‘totally out of character’ in St Georges Basin

On Thursday night, more than 200 residents packed a community hall in St Georges Basin, angered by the prospect of a four-storey development in their town.

Five Shoalhaven councillors, including mayor Amanda Findley, Joanna Gash, Kaye Gartner, Patricia White and John Levett attended the meeting and sympathised with residents.

“It’s hitting home now what 15 buildings up to 13m tall will bring,” campaign leader Maureen Webb said.

“One of the councillors likened it to double the population of Currarong just in one street.” 

Supporters of the project, tipped to bring 1000 new residents to Anson Street, made their views known via Facebook last week.

“Welcome to 2017,” Vincentia resident Jermaine Mamo said.

“We need infrastructure and investment in this town and all the oldies are trying to block it.”

But supporters of the development were silent, or not present at the community consultation on Thursday, according to Mrs Webb.

Council has asked residents to submit feedback on the development, and extended the cut-off date by two weeks.

On Monday night, the Basin Villages Forum will host a workshop to assist residents who want to submit feedback.

“You can write what you think, but you have to make the comment relevant,” Mrs Webb said.

“We’ll be helping people to make their concerns fit in with legislation.”

All community members have been invited to attend the session at the St Georges Basin Community Hall at 7.30pm. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop