On May 16, 1928 electricity was switched on in Nowra.
It was generated from Frasers Garage a private residence located on Kinghorne Street, where Woolworths is situated.
It was a major undertaking for a small governance such as Nowra Municipal Council, who had to connect power over Cambewarra Mountain into Kangaroo Valley and all the way down to Milton.
When the Shire of Shoalhaven was formed in 1948, an electricity department was created and for several years the supply point was the 66kv substation at Bomaderry, where Shoalhaven Community Collage now operates.
A new 132kv substation was built on Yalwal Road at Nowra in 1965, which allowed several outlying areas to receive electricity for the first time.
In 1979, the Labour Government forced its transfer to the control of the Illawarra County Council, despite promises it would remain an independent supply authority, and by 1980 the takeover including all assets was complete.