William “Little Pebble” Kamm’s bid to appeal against a five-year extension of his sex offender supervision order came within a whisker of being thrown out of court earlier this month after orders to serve paperwork were ignored by his legal team, the Mercury can reveal.
The NSW Court of Appeal said Kamm and his lawyers, which includes flamboyant Sydney silk Charles Waterstreet, had repeatedly failed to set out in writing their legal grounds for the appeal in the seven months the matter had been before the court.
Kamm blamed money troubles for the delay.
Despite labeling the behaviour “serious and sustained non-compliance” with court orders, Justice Anthony Payne agreed to give the 66-year-old one last chance to lodge the required documents.
It is the latest development in a decade-long legal saga involving the South Coast cult leader.
Kamm was jailed for a maximum of nine years in 2007 for having sex with two 15-year-old girls, claiming God and the Virgin Mary told him to use them to repopulate the earth.
Both victims had lived in Kamm’s religious community ‘‘The Order of Saint Charbel’’ at Cambewarra, near Nowra.
In his current legal fight, Kamm’s is seeking to appeal a NSW Supreme Court decision to extend his supervision by NSW Corrections for a further five years, after psychiatrists deemed him at high risk of reoffending.
Presiding judge Justice Ian Harrison deemed the order necessary to prevent Kamm from luring under-age followers to rural areas after his parole expired and supervision ended.
‘‘There are also real concerns Mr Kamm will further re-integrate with members of his order and position himself in a rural area, away from scrutiny and in a manner that will provide ready access to under-age followers,’’ Justice Harrison wrote in his judgment at the time.
‘‘Mr Kamm’s particular sexual predispositions appear to be almost intractable.’’
Kamm has always maintained he is innocent of the allegations against him and in August last year starred in a 37-minute video produced by Justice Action in which he blamed the media for his conviction and incarceration.
A hearing into the supervision order extension has been set down in the Court of Appeal for May 8.