The Nowra Co-operative Dairy Company butter factory was located on a site just south of the old Nowra bridge.
The co-op began operations in 1901 and fronted the Shoalhaven River on a piece of land purchased from Joseph Hyam for 160 pounds.
In 1909 a wharf was built to cater for the large quantities of cream carried by boats from up and down the river.
In 1938 the factory won the World Butter Championship against 96 entries from countries including New Zealand, England and Fiji.
After the Bomaderry factory opened at the beginning of World War II, the Nowra factory buildings were sold. Parts of the weatherboard buildings were rebuilt as a clubhouse for Nowra Scouts.