On The Beat | Wednesday, September 21

NSW Police Shoalhaven crime prevention officer Senior Constable Anthony Jory.

NSW Police Shoalhaven crime prevention officer Senior Constable Anthony Jory.

Picture this - you are driving along in your car on a lovely summer’s day.

Your partner/spouse is quietly sitting in the passenger seat and the kids are sitting quietly in the back seat studying.

The only image you have in your head is a circus monkey banging cymbals to circus music.

You are driving to the speed limit and being careful.

Suddenly a car comes from your right and crashes into your car.

The bonnet crumples, steam comes out of the engine and the car is pushed to the side of the road.

The other vehicle is also in similar shape but luckily nobody is injured in either vehicle.

You and the other driver are able to move both vehicles off the road.

At this time you ask yourself, “Do I have to call the Police?”

Police will attend any crash where the answer is ‘yes’ to one or more of the following:

 * Is anyone trapped, killed or injured, or

  • Has anyone involved failed to exchange details, or
  • Do any drivers appear affected by alcohol or drugs, or
  • Are police needed to direct traffic or deal with hazards,
  • Does a bus or truck need to be towed, or
  • Are there hazards present (eg. leaking fluids, damage to power poles/structures, etc), or
  • Are there any other issues requiring police attendance (e.g. aggressive/criminal etc).

Generally police will no longer investigate ‘tow away only’ crashes, however they will retain discretion to investigate traffic offences detected in any type of behaviour crash and take action against offending drivers where they deem it appropriate.

So if you and the other driver exchange particulars, nobody is injured, and nobody appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol and there is no danger, you generally don’t need to contact the police.

P.S (There is no such thing as kids sitting quietly in the back seat studying) or at least I’ve never seen it.

Party Time - It’s almost time for the end of school celebrations to kick off.

Most of the celebrations include private parties.

These parties bring underage drinkers and intoxicating liquor together which could have devastating consequences.

There are no laws against having parties, however if you supply any person under the age of 18 with intoxicating liquor and you do not have the permission of the parents you are committing an offence and could face an $11,000 fine and or 12 months in the big house.

Depending on the type of incident, the consequences could even be worse.

As always, in case of an emergency call 000. In non-emergencies call the Policelink on 131 444 or your local police station. To provide anonymous information call Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000. For domestic and family violence information, visit www.police.nsw.gov.au. For Shoalhaven Domestic Violence officers call 4421 9666 or 4421 9665 or email shoaldvlo@police.nsw.gov.au.

Don’t forget, cops are tops.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide