Shoalhaven Coursing Club opened on August 3, 1904. It was the forerunner of the Shoalhaven Greyhound Racing Club and at that time live hares were used, in what was called ‘plumpton coursing’, where two dogs set off in pursuit.
A 30 acre piece of land described as “a splendid site for coursing” two miles south of Nowra was leased from Waldron Brown for the coursing site.
Almost 1000 people turned out for the first meeting, which cost approximately 45 pound. Starting at 11.30am, some 70 courses were run during the day.
The Maiden Stakes and Novice Stakes were restricted to district dogs. Local competitors included Belle of Beaumont, Maid of Meroo, Berry’s Lass, Terrara Lad, Bolong Boy and Cambewarra.