Woollamia man jailed for six months for assault and affray

Rivalry between two outlaw motorcycle clubs came to a head in Nowra in June, leaving a young man with a badly broken jaw and a Woollamia man jailed for six months.

Nowra Local Court heard the 22-year-old victim was caught in the middle of an incident in Kinghorne Street, Nowra on June 16 between his father, whose other son allegedly has links to the Rebels Motorcycle Club, and two other men, one whom is a member of the Hells Angels.

In Nowra Local Court on Friday,  Blake Gennison, 21, pleaded guilty to common assault and affray.

The court heard the victim, who is new to the Shoalhaven area, and his father were at the Bridge Tavern in Nowra, when they were approached by Gennison, who the family knew, and another man who is a member of the Hells Angels.

They asked for contact details for the man’s other son.

The victim and his father refused and left soon after, going to the Australian Hotel.

There with other family members they were again approached by the two men, who became verbally abusive before being asked to leave by hotel staff.

Shortly after the victim received a phone call via Facebook from Gennison asking if they wanted to fight and to meet them at a nearby kebab shop.

Fifteen minutes later the man and his son were on their way to get a kebab when they were approached by Gennison and the other man near the Coles Supermarket in Kinghorne Street.

The court heard Gennison threw a half eaten kebab at the father, before punching him in the jaw.

Police said the son intervened, pushing Gennison away, with his associate punching the 22-year-old from behind, hitting him in the face.

The man fell to the footpath unconscious and was bleeding profusely from the mouth when other family members arrived.

Gennison attempted to fight the father, who was then “king hit” by Gennison’s associate.

Although staggering, the father didn’t fall over.

CCTV footage captured the assault while witnesses told police of continued verbal threats.

CCTV from the Bridge and Australian hotels confirmed the victims’ stories.

Gennison was arrested by police on July 12 and pleaded guilty to common assault and affray before Magistrate Gabriel Fleming, who sentenced him to six month’s jail.

He will be eligible for release on March 15 next year.

In a separate incident Gennison was also fined $1200, placed on a 12-month good behaviour bond and disqualified from driving for 12 months following a police pursuit in Sanctuary Point on May 16.

Gennison pleaded guilty to police pursuit and driving while suspended.

Court documents said Gennison was spotted by police at 3.15pm on May 16, driving a Holden utility in Paradise Beach Road.

Police had stopped Gennison the day before for driving while suspended.

When they attempted to stop him the next day he led police on a pursuit through five adjoining streets.

The court heard he accelerated harshly, travelling in excess of the 50km/h speed limit, before eventually being caught.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide