Toxic dump cleaned up

THE illegal asbestos dump in Nowra reported in Friday’s South Coast Register has been removed by a private company.

When Neil Wallace from Asbestos Reporting and Mark Afflick from MGA Contracting learnt a pile of asbestos had been left on a public track for more than four months after authorities were notified, they decided to act in the interests of public safety.

Crown Lands was responsible for cleaning up the site.

Asbestos removalists from MGA Contracting in Ulladulla came to Nowra on Friday to remove the material after being contacted by Mr Wallace.

“Normally WorkCover would require a five-day notification of asbestos removal but if the situation is deemed urgent enough they will waive that,” Mr Wallace said.

“Obviously they thought it was a danger to the public, because they allowed for its immediate removal.”

Nowra resident Chris Clarke originally reported the asbestos dump earlier in the year but discovered months later nothing had been done.

After being contacted in March by the Register, Crown Lands confirmed it would appoint a contractor to remove the material.

Contacted again by the Register on Friday Crown Lands said it would clean up the material at the end of this week.

Mr Wallace thought in the interests of public safety, it was best to remove it as soon as possible.

Mr Afflick said it was an odd situation and agreed it was best to remove the material and worry about who was responsible for it later.

MADE SAFE: Asbestos removalists Troy Ward and Mick Healey from MGM Contracting clear an illegal asbestos dump in Nowra on Friday. Crown Lands had failed to clear it after being informed months ago.

MADE SAFE: Asbestos removalists Troy Ward and Mick Healey from MGM Contracting clear an illegal asbestos dump in Nowra on Friday. Crown Lands had failed to clear it after being informed months ago.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop