It’s official – highway is open

THE $62 million upgrade of the Princes Highway at South Nowra was officially opened on Saturday by Roads Minister Duncan Gay and the Member for South Coast Shelley Hancock.

Minister Gay and Mrs Hancock toured the site with the Minister for the Illawarra John Ajaka and Member for Kiama Gareth Ward. 

Mr Gay said the 6.3 kilometre upgrade of the Princes Highway to four lanes between Kinghorne Street and Forest Road was a testament to local member Shelley Hancock who delivered the pro-ject for her community.

“The upgrade is part of the NSW government’s allocation of $202 million for upgrades to the Princes Highway, this financial year,” he said.

“It will improve road safety and traffic flow and meet the needs of the community and businesses into the future. 

“This is a government committed to building and upgrading infrastructure and when it comes to the Princes Highway, the communities of the Illawarra and South Coast today have more evidence that we are delivering.

“The $62 million upgrade is part of the NSW Government’s allocation of $202 million for upgrades to the Princes Highway this financial year alone.” 

Mrs Hancock said she was delighted the project had been delivered in time for the Easter break.

“The road has been open to four lanes since before Christmas to ensure motorists could easily travel through the area during one of the busiest times of year,” Mrs Hancock said. 

“Finishing work has been ongoing since the start of the year and is now completed.”

Additional work at the southern end of the upgrade is continuing. It includes widening the road shoulder on the northbound side of the highway between Parma and Forest roads.

That work is expected to be finished in June, weather permitting.

“We are committed to ensuring the Illawarra and South Coast communities have good quality transportation links to help these areas flourish,” Mrs Hancock said. 

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop