Essendon players at 'worst point': Lloyd

Just days out from the start of the AFL season, Essendon great Matthew Lloyd has revealed Bombers' players involved in the supplements saga are mentally at their "worst point".

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority has said the investigation into what went on at the club through 2012 is complete but retired Federal Court judge Garry Downe is now reviewing the briefs.

This means officials and players, including at least 10 still at the club who believed they were administered either Thymosin, of which there are legal and illegal varieties, the banned anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 or both, face a nervous wait.

Lloyd said the wellbeing of players has also been impacted by the decision of News Corp newspapers to publish the names of 14 players, including two who are now at other AFL clubs and two who are no longer in the elite system, who suspect they may have been injected with illegal drugs.

The former champion forward and captain said, in terms of mental wellbeing, players and their families were at "their worst point".

"No doubt. Guys that I have seen as laid-back guys within football and life, I have never seen them so worked up," Lloyd said.

"Players have been linked to things that they took that they are unsure whether they actually took themselves. I think what they are upset about - it's been 14 months since this first broke.

"When is the AFL and ASADA actually going to take responsibility for the mental health of these players?"

Asked by Garry Lyon on Nine's Footy Classified on Monday night whether he was "fearful for any of these players", Lloyd replied: "I am - or a family member. I am not saying the actual players but I am just thinking: 'When do you think about these players who put trust in things and look to wrap these things up?' Fourteen months, that's too long."

Skipper Jobe Watson, who last year said he suspected he was given AOD-9604, last week said the saga had, at times, left the players "disillusioned" with the sport.

Fairfax Media had opted not to publish the names of those players mentioned in last year's interim report. The AFL Players Association has said it is investigating whether legal action can be taken against News Corp. Watson also left open the possibility of court action.

Former ASADA chief Richard Ings said the release of the names was an "egregious breach" of confidentiality.

The Bombers cannot yet categorically confirm what was administered to the players under a program run by sacked sports scientist Stephen Dank.

The club, AFL and AFL Players Association have been in talks about how best to administer and fund a program in case players have long-term health issues.

Essendon had not responded to calls from Fairfax Media at the time of publication.

The Bombers have the opening split weekend of the season off, with their first match against North Melbourne on Friday week.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop