Divers find no sign of missing rock fisherman

SPECIALIST police divers have been unable to locate the body of a 28-year-old rock fisherman who was swept into the ocean near Currarong on December 23.

The fisherman, from Winston Hills in Sydney, had been fishing at Mermaids Inlet when he went to the water’s edge and was swept out to sea about 2.20am.

His friends reportedly threw a life ring into the water, but it was later recovered by Marine Rescue NSW.

Shoalhaven Police inspector Bruce Griffin said divers believed the man’s body was still in the area.

‘‘They’re fairly confident he’ll still be there, the only risk is predators ... [or] the body may have moved, may have gone into rocks’’, he said.

‘‘There’s been a fair swell running but they don’t think it would have been taken off into the sea.’’

Thursday and Friday were the first time weather conditions were suitable for divers to conduct a search since the incident.

Port Kembla Water Police sergeant Sean Netting said divers were towed behind a boat while they searched.

Since the man’s disappearance, there have been multiple shark sightings around the Jervis Bay area.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop