RURAL Fire Service investigators and police are investigating a number of suspicious fires that have been lit in the Culburra Beach area over the past couple of weeks.
The latest was on Friday at about 11.35am when crews were called to a scrub fire off Prince Edward Avenue.
Initial reports were that the blaze was threatening houses in the area.
A crew from the Culburra Beach RFS attended the scene and extinguished two mattresses that had been set on fire in bushland.
RFS district officer James Morris said the blaze was extinguished within minutes of crews receiving the call and there was no danger or threat to assets.
Mr Morris said this latest blaze is one of a number that are under investigation in the area.
“It has been an issue in the area over the past 12 months, but in the past couple of weeks we have had six or seven reported incidents,” he said.
“The blazes have been of an undetermined nature and RFS fire investigators and police are making investigations.”
Anyone who sees any suspicious activity in the area is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.