AN investigation by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) into the State Emergency Service (SES) does not involve the organisation’s 10,000 volunteers, Fairfax Media has been told.
On Monday, it was revealed that SES Deputy Commissioner Steve
Pearce had been stood down on full pay an hour after ICAC investigators raided the volunteer-based rescue headquarters in Wollongong.
“There has been nothing told to us, the volunteers, about what is going on,” said an Illawarra volunteer who did not wish to be named.
“There is a lot of talk among the volunteers – we are sick and tired of the ivory castle being built bigger and bigger.”
In February, $13 million in state funding was allocated over four years for the fit-out of a new SES headquarters, to be located in the Illawarra.
“We’re the ones out ... doing the work, they only have a job because of us – they seem to have forgotten about that,” the volunteer said.
The state government has been accused of a cover-up over the sacking of a senior member of the NSW State Emergency Service who raised allegations of millions being misspent within the rescue organisation.