SHOALHAVEN police have praised the community for the amount of information they received which led to the arrest of two men over the bashing of an elderly North Nowra man.
Speaking to the media, Acting Shoalhaven Local Area Commander, Acting Superintendent Paul Condon praised the public for its assistance saying police had been overwhelmed with information from the public.
Two men aged 38 and 19 have been charged over the vicious attack at North Nowra last Sunday evening.
They will appear in Nowra Local Court this morning.
Acting Superintendent Condon also categorically ruled out the names of two young people that had been mentioned on Facebook as having been responsible for the attack, saying they were not involved in anyway.
“We have received an overwhelming number of leads and information from the general public and we must thank them for all that information,” he said.
“Shoalhaven detectives worked tirelessly since the assault and as a result of information, arrested two males aged 19 and 38 in the Nowra area.”
He said the two men were not related but were acquaintances.
One of the alleged offenders was arrested at the Nowra Police Station and the other at the rear of the Bounty Motel in Bomaderry.
Superintendent Condon said information started filtering through immediately after the attack.
“Information started coming through even before the appeal to the public went out,” he said.
“As soon as the press release went out early Monday, a large amount of information started coming in immediately and continued to flow all week.
“Detectives had a huge amount of information to go through and clarify, prove and dismiss. There was a lot of information and it took a number of days.
“We had a number of suspects from the information supplied by the public.
“That was narrowed down through good detective work and officers came up with the two arrests.
“The quick break through was for two reasons - the amount of information and caring of the general public and the massive number of man hours put in by Nowra detectives.”
Superintendent Condon said there was not one single piece of information that led to the arrests.
“This is one of the most serious assaults I have seen in the 20 years I have been in police force,” he said.
“The victim is emotionally and physically injured but he has been made aware that the two men have been charged.
“I continue to encourage the general community to use social media as a good way of connecting with local police, through the Iproud system or Facebook site.
“But I also encourage the public not to believe everything they read and see, like all aspects of social media.”
The two men were each charged with:
- Aggravated assault with intent to rob with wounding;
- Aggravated assault with intent to rob with actual bodily harm;
- Reckless wounding;
- Assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company.
North Nowra resident Francois Beugels was the victim of a cowardly and callous attack in North Nowra last Sunday night.
Seventy-six-year-old Mr Beugels was on his daily walk about 6.30pm on Sunday, when he noticed two people following him along Pitt Street.
He continued walking onto Page Avenue, but was allegedly punched and knocked to the ground near the intersection of Goolagong Street.
Police from Shoalhaven Local Area Command went to the scene and conducted a search without success.
Mr Beugels was taken to Shoalhaven District Hospital where he was treated for head injuries, including bruising and lacerations.