A CRACKDOWN on unauthorised occupants of public housing in NSW has resulted in 1074 tenants admitting to underpaying their rent.
A further 1011 are being investigated following third party reports.
Member for Kiama Gareth Ward welcomed the announcement the NSW government’s crackdown was having an impact.
“Last month the NSW government announced the start of an amnesty for public housing tenants to tell Housing NSW if they have additional people in their home so the correct amount of rent is being paid,” Mr Ward said.
“We are giving tenants who have been doing the wrong thing the chance to do the right thing. This is only fair to tenants who are doing the right thing, and to the taxpayers who subsidise public housing,” Mr Ward said.
In the month-long amnesty period, more than 1387 additional occupants have been declared by public housing tenants.
If the tenants providing homes for 1756 suspected additional occupants do not own up and are caught out down the track, they will lose the protection of the amnesty and risk having to pay large amounts of back rent. They could also face eviction.
“With less than one month to go in the amnesty period, tenants who are doing the wrong thing need to come forward – before they’re caught out and penalised,” Mr Ward said.
Tenants or other members of the public can contact the amnesty line on 1300 468 746 or submit their declarations online at www.housing.nsw.gov .au
The amnesty finishes on March 17.